[systemd-devel] Supporting properties(configurations) system

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 12:14:01 UTC 2016

On 07/03/16 02:46, WaLyong Cho wrote:
> As you may know, Android has properties.
> http://developer.android.com/reference/java/util/Properties.html
>
> In the desktop side, it maybe similar with configuration system such
> like gconf.

gconf and its more modern replacement dconf are for per-user settings.
If that's what you want, I would suggest dconf - or preferably a
framework like GLib's GSettings or Qt's QSettings, which just provides a
data model and can support multiple backends (dconf, restricted views of
dconf proxied into an app container, flat file, Windows
HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry, etc).

Per-user settings like dconf and HKEY_CURRENT_USER should not be
confused with per-system settings, like Windows' HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
registry. On Unix systems, per-system settings are usually stored in
plain files in /etc, like the ones in /etc/systemd/system/ that
configure systemd.

> I hope the configurations are supporting write protected(ro) and
> writable(rw). To control this, I think new daemon will be needed and the
> daemon has to be activated before the clients(user of the configuration
> system).

Depending on your exact requirements, it might be a better fit to use
plain files, inotify and no daemon. Normal Unix DAC permissions, or
LSMs' MAC policies, can provide read-only and read/write.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>