[systemd-devel] Why does sysv generator translate Required-Start keyword into an After= ordering dep only ?

Lukáš Nykrýn lnykryn at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 13:13:30 UTC 2016

Francis Moreau píše v Po 07. 03. 2016 v 08:04 +0100:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the long delay.
>
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <
> arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 26.02.2016 00:55, Francis Moreau пишет:
> > >
> > > But now I'm wondering how the following case is handled: a
> > > sysinit
> > > script "a" has "Required-Start: b". But "b" is a native systemd
> > > service. I don't think the tool that enable/disable sysv services
> > > can
> > > enable and order correctly the native service.
> > >

> > What difference does it make?
>
> The difference is that in my current understanding nothing will pull
> "b" in.
>
> Indeed "a" will have "After=b" ordering dep but that's not sufficient
> to start "b". And since "b" is native it will not have a "SXXb"
> installed by insserv.

IIRC the behavior is still the same as it always was. Chkconfig on (at
least rhel-based systems) did not enable the dependencies for the
service. It only assured that the services will be started in the
correct order.

The only script that cared about enabled dependencies was the
install_initd, which refused to install the initscript if its
requirements were not met.

If you want that behavior to change you should file a RFE to your
chkconfig/install_initd/systemd-sysv-install implementation.

Lukas