[systemd-devel] Transaction contains conflicting jobs 'restart' and 'stop'

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Mar 10 20:47:38 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-10 at 17:51 +0000, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Orion Poplawski <orion <at> cora.nwra.com> writes:
>> > # systemctl restart firewalld
> > Failed to restart firewalld.service: Transaction contains
> > conflicting jobs
> > 'restart' and 'stop' for fail2ban.service. Probably contradicting
> > requirement dependencies configured.

> It appears that this is a trigger for this issue.  Removing the
> conflicts=iptables.service removes it.  This seems like a bug to me
> though -
> why is iptables being brought in if the PartOf= is a one-way dep?

I guess it's because it's because firewalld.service has
"Conflicts=iptables.service", and thus (re)starting firewalld.service
stops iptables.service; fail2ban.service has PartOf to both, thus both
the restart and stop are propagated, and conflict.

Claiming a PartOf relationship to both of two conflicting services is
the problem here. I doubt such a use case was what PartOf was designed
to support.