[systemd-devel] Suspend does not work from a service

Cecil Westerhof cldwesterhof at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:16:58 UTC 2016

I wrote as script to put my netbook into suspend when it is locked for five
minutes and not connected to the AC adapter:
    https://github.com/CecilWesterhof/BashLibrary/blob/master/bin/suspend.sh

This works perfect when I start it from the command-line, but not when I
use it as a systemd service. Then I get:
    Failed to start suspend.target: Access denied
when the
    systemctl suspend || true
is executed.

​What could be happening here? And how do I solve it?

My service file:
[Unit]
Description=Suspend machine when locked and no AC adaptor

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/local/bash/bin/suspend.sh
Restart=always
User=cecil

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
​

​On a related note​: why does:
    systemctl suspend
give an exit status of 1?
And why does it returns immediately? I had to add a sleep 5 to my script to
make it work.

--
Cecil Westerhof