[systemd-devel] ExecStop upon un-expected but clean shutdown

Mathieu Lacage mathieu.lacage at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 09:44:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a daemon that is socket-activated through a systemd-managed
localhost TCP socket. The daemon is normally shutdown by a simple systemctl
stop with ExecStop=curl -X POST on the right HTTP endpoint which makes it
easy to cleanup resources and make sure my data hits the hard disk.

Now, it just so happens that sometimes my users and myself screw up and we
actually invoke the stop HTTP endpoint by hand because we are dumb. When
this happens, systemd detects that the daemon dies peacefully (status = 0)
and then proceeds to invoke ExecStop=curl -X POST (service_enter_running
calls service_enter_stop). The latter never completes because systemd still
has the activation socket open so curl waits forever for the TCP connection
to be accepted (modulo timeout). When the timeout expires, systemd tries to
re-run ExecStop. When I "kill -9" the command by hand, systemd tries to
re-run ExecStop.

voila, deadlock: systemd waits for ExecStop to finish, ExecStop waits for
systemd to start daemon to be able to stop it.

Now, I am sure that what I did (use the activation socket as the channel
over which stop commands are safely sent) is not right but I wonder if
there is a way to make systemd actually deal with the situation better and
if not, what I should do instead to deal with someone trying to shutdown
the daemon without "systemctl stop".

I would be happy to file a bug if needed but I am not really sure the
problem lies in systemd. Or maybe it is a documentation problem: it would
help quite a bit if the activation state machine/transitions was documented
in a human-readable way beyond what can be found by reading the source code.

any help would be welcome,
Mathieu