[systemd-devel] Using systemd --user to manage graphical sessions?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu May 12 06:47:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Luke Shumaker <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> The only problem I have with this setup is that dunst (my desktop
> notification daemon) isn't happy running multiple instances on
> different displays.  I think it's because it isn't happy sharing the
> dbus, but I haven't spent even 1 minute debugging it yet.

Yes, notification daemons always try to claim
"org.freedesktop.Notifications" with no session ID of any sort, so a second
instance would either fail or wait in the queue until the first one exits.

(Personally, my main session (GNOME/gdm) lives on the user bus, but
whenever I startx something temporary, it still calls dbus-launch to get a
temporary session bus.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>