[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

Chris Friesen cbf123 at mail.usask.ca
Thu May 12 17:20:24 UTC 2016

Hi,

Could someone point me to the commit that removed support for assigning "ethX"
names based on MAC addresses?

Alternately, can someone suggest a way to get equivalent behaviour (the ability
to set "ethX" names based on MAC address) using the current infrastructure?
(Preferably as of RHEL 7, so systemd 219 plus a bunch of patches.)

The back story is that we've got a lot of scripts/tools that currently assume
the "ethX" naming, and while we will eventually sort it out we really don't want
to do it right now.  The previous method of assigning "ethX" names was working
well for our use-case (though I realize it had issues more generally).

Thanks,
Chris