[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 12 17:58:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, 12.05.16 11:52, Chris Friesen (cbf123 at mail.usask.ca) wrote:

> On 05/12/2016 11:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >

> >Am 12.05.2016 um 19:20 schrieb Chris Friesen:
> >>Could someone point me to the commit that removed support for assigning
> >>"ethX" names based on MAC addresses?
> >>
> >>Alternately, can someone suggest a way to get equivalent behaviour (the
> >>ability to set "ethX" names based on MAC address) using the current
> >>infrastructure? (Preferably as of RHEL 7, so systemd 219 plus a bunch of
> >>patches.)
> >
> >it was not removed - boot with "net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0"
> >
> >just use network.service on RHEL7 as all the time before and enter the MAC in
> >the ifcfg-file as all the time before
>
> On https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
> it says:
>
> "For a longer time udev shipped support for assigning permanent "ethX" names
> to certain interfaces based on their MAC addresses.  This turned out to have
> a multitude of problems.....As a result support for this has been removed
> from systemd/udev a while back."
>
> If that is not accurate then maybe it should be updated.

It is accurate.

What has been removed is the support for assigning *permanent* names
in the eth* namespace. If you don't care about that then just use
net.ifnames=0 or so, and you'll get your eth* names back, but they
will be assigned in a non-predictable way, and might change at every
boot (unless of course you only have a single ethernet device in your
systems).