[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:50:22 UTC 2016

> On 12 May 2016 18:28, "Chris Friesen" <cbf123 at mail.usask.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone point me to the commit that removed support for assigning
"ethX" names based on MAC addresses?

> > Alternately, can someone suggest a way to get equivalent behaviour (the
ability to set "ethX" names based on MAC address) using the current
infrastructure? (Preferably as of RHEL 7, so systemd 219 plus a bunch of
patches.)

> > The back story is that we've got a lot of scripts/tools that currently
assume the "ethX" naming, and while we will eventually sort it out we
really don't want to do it right now.  The previous method of assigning
"ethX" names was working well for our use-case (though I realize it had
issues more generally).

For future reference when dealing with EL systems it's best to check the
Red Hat documentation in the first instance:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/ch-Consistent_Network_Device_Naming.html