[systemd-devel] why are the systemd binaries so huge and can we do something about that?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 17 08:36:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, 16.05.16 04:24, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,

> Any ideas, why simple tools like loginctl, busctl, hostnamectl require 300K+ ?
> What's up with systemd-analyze?

it embedds much of PID1's logic actually, in order to do unit file
checking.

> Could we move more common functionality into a shared, private library
> to counter the constant growth?

This has been discussed, and yeah, this should be a good thing to
do. It's just a matter of doing it. A shared, but explicitly private
library would be good. I figure it should be built from the stuff in
src/shared and src/basic. This would mean it won't help in the
systemd-analyze in case, but I think it's OK, given that that's a
debugging tool.

If anyone wants to make the necessary changes to makefile.am I'd be
happy to merge this.

(I figure either by including a version nr in the .so filename, or by
using symbol versioning, we really should make sure that the .so is
bumped on each release and we won't end up with new binaries
accidentally linking against older .so versions or vice versa.)