[systemd-devel] [networkd] dbus interface?

Yuri D'Elia wavexx at thregr.org
Tue May 17 13:00:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16 2016, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Just as a curiosity though, is there some logic in the link numbers
>> given? All my links are _3[123]. Since I just need to emit some
>> notifications for the time being, knowing that _XY have the same
>> sequence as what is listed by networkctl would already be something.
>
> That's actually the interface index formatted as integer
> string. However, since D-Bus does not allow object path components to
> start with a number it it is escaped with an underscored followed by
> the ASCII code of the character... Hence "3" becomes "_33", because
> 0x33 is the ASCII code for the character "3"...

That's enough for what I needed... some simple notifications of network
state changes. I was tired or running networkctl manually.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wavexx/networkd-notify/master/networkd-notify

It's cobbled together with duct-tape, but at least it's not polling.
Hopefully it's going to improve later on with a proper API.