[systemd-devel] restart vs. stop/start

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 23 10:14:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, 23.05.16 13:11, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> >> I am curious how you implement "systemctl daemon-restart" using only
> >> plain "stop systemd" followed by "start systemd".
> >
> > Hmm? What is "systemctl daemon-restart" supposed to be?
>
> It is supposed to be "daemon-reexec". I always confuse it.

Reexec is something very special really. And we probably should not
even have it (and "systemctl daemon-reload" should just do what
"systemctl daemon-reexec" currently does). The conceptual differences
between both are minimal, and the codepaths pretty much the same
anyway... If you so will, "daemon-reload" and "daemon-reexec" are just
two slightly different flavours of the same "reload" concept.