[systemd-devel] Systemd loads units before btrfs subvolumes are mounted

Rashmi Ranjan Mohanty RashmiRanjan.Mohanty at microfocus.com
Thu May 26 06:52:13 UTC 2016

> What I don't understand in your case though is why you use an explicit
> mount for /opt anyway... The nice thing about btrfs is that subvolumes
> behave pretty much like normal directories that just have a bit more
> features. And because of that there's no need to mount them
> explicitly. Just create a subvolume normally and everything should be
> good, it will then be available at the right place the instant the
> parent subvolume is mounted too.

I can not really control the partitioning scheme. We just provide the software installer.
Customer installs the OS and then installs our software. So its upto customer discretion
how he wants to create the partitioning scheme. The system on which we found the
issue was having the default partitioning scheme that SUSE (SLES 12) used and /opt
was not a separate partition, but btrfs subvolume of / partition.

Anyway we are changing the location of unit files to standard /usr/lib/systemd/system to fix
the issue. Tested it and works fine after changing the location.

Just out of curiosity... If /usr itself is there on a separate partition, can this issue happen
then or systemd can handle that scenario ?

Regards
Rashmi