[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu May 26 18:41:29 UTC 2016

Chris Friesen [2016-05-26 12:28 -0600]:
> So I've been playing with this a bit, but I've run into another snag.  It
> seems that on initial boot even with "net.ifnames=0" the ethernet interface
> ordering isn't consistent.

"even with" → "because of" :-)

However, the ordering isn't really influenced by udev/systemd/ifnames,
that's entirely dependent on the hardware and kernel drivers.

> I assume this is due to parallel network device initialization from udev?

udev (or userspace in general) has no business in detecting physical
network devices, that's exclusively the kernel.

> Is there a way to serialize this at the cost of slower system
> initialization?  I don't really care what the ordering is, as long as it is
> consistent on identical hardware.

I'm not aware of such a method. You can of course hack the kernel to
do anything..  This is why we have needed to come up with
ways to rename interfaces in userspace.

Martin