[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

Chris Friesen cbf123 at mail.usask.ca
Thu May 26 20:14:08 UTC 2016

On 05/26/2016 01:59 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 01:49:07PM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

>> The thing that makes this all confusing/annoying is that when I was using a
>> homebrew distro with a 3.10 kernel and sysV init the interface ordering was
>> completely repeatable on identical hardware, but when I went to CentOS 7
>> with a 3.10 kernel and systemd the interface ordering became variable.
>
> Try making your own kernel with the needed drivers built-in and the
> ordering should start to get semi-predictable, but then it might not be
> because the kernel, and userspace, and your hardware, do not make any
> guarantees of this AT ALL.
>
> So you really are on your own here, good luck!

Yeah, I get the picture.  I traced the kernel code and like even with drivers as
builtin we have the possibility of ordering issues when pci_call_probe calls
local_pci_probe via a workqueue.  We may have just gotten lucky previously.

I want to move to position-based naming eventually, it was just not really a
good time.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Chris