[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v230

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri May 27 10:52:48 UTC 2016

Am 27.05.2016 um 12:45 schrieb Mantas MikulÄ—nas:
> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net
> <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>
>     Am 27.05.2016 um 12:10 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>
>         Am 22.05.2016 um 00:51 schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
>
>                     * systemd-logind will now by default terminate user
>             processes
>             that are
>                       part of the user session scope unit
>             (session-XX.scope) when
>             the user
>                       logs out. This behavior is controlled by the
>             KillUserProcesses=
>                       setting in logind.conf, and the previous default
>             of "no" is now
>                       changed to "yes". This means that user sessions
>             will be
>             properly
>                       cleaned up after, but additional steps are
>             necessary to allow
>                       intentionally long-running processes to survive logout
>

>         i would call that a invasive change while i can cope with enable
>         linger
>         breaking "screen" just as a new default is questionable
>
>         https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11782364
>
>     it also breaks the well known "wget" behavior that it just runs in
>     the background and now get terminated - by all respect - such
>     changes violates the principle of least surprise
>
> Most interactive programs I've used will clean up and exit on terminal
> hangup. If wget continues running in background, such behavior violates
> the principle of least surprise

but it *is not* a interactive program - period

from the manpage:
Wget is non-interactive, meaning that it can work in the background,
while the user is not logged on.  This allows you to start a retrieval
and disconnect from the system, letting Wget finish the
work.  By contrast, most of the Web browsers require constant user's
presence, which can be a great hindrance when transferring a lot of data.