[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:43:21 UTC 2016

> And the annoying thing is that if I turn off the new naming scheme there
> seems to be less determinism than there used to be.  I assume this is due to
> the effort to extract more parallelism at boot, but it's causing me grief.

The old network interface naming scheme (which was bound to MAC
addresses) used the same name space as the kernel.
This was/is inherently racy. To make it more likely to succeed, udev
tried the renaming several times.

This hack was removed in upstream udev [1]. So this mean if you now
use the old scheme it's much more likely that it fails.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/97595710b77aa162ca5e20da57d0a1ed7355eaad

universe are pointed away from Earth?