[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:05:13 UTC 2016

> The issue is not that the renaming fails (I actually modified the kernel to
> start at eth1000 so there is no possibility of collision).
>
> The problem is that the kernel-assigned "ethX" names are not deterministic.
> If I take two identical systems and boot the same OS on both, I can get
> different "ethX" ordering due to the fact that multiple drivers are
> modprobed in parallel and they race against each other to obtain the next
> eth device number.

Ok, then you don't actually use the old
75-persistent-net-generator.rules based mechanism that udev provided
but you simply use the names the kernel gives you.

When I read your topic "support for assigning ethX names", that
sounded like you meant the ethX renaming that was (previously) done in
udev.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?