[systemd-devel] when/where was support for assigning "ethX" names removed?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri May 27 16:22:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, 27.05.16 09:14, Chris Friesen (cbf123 at mail.usask.ca) wrote:

> >Well, udev just modprobes the driver. The driver then probes all
> >devices and that happens in any order it likes.
>
> Looking at the kernel code, the probing order for pci NICs for a given
> driver is pretty well deterministic.  From what I can tell, the problems
> happen when we modprobe another driver before the previous one is finished
> walking the bus. When this happens you can get sequential device numbers
> being assigned to one driver, then the other, then back to the
> first.

Yeah, for some specific setups the ethXY names might possibly be
stable (for example, if you only have one device, or if you have very
basic setups with only PCI, no USB, and all on the same bus, and so
on...). If that used to be stable and isn't now this is probably more
caused by kernel changes in the probing logic, not so much userspace
changes afaics.