[systemd-devel] Am I getting/understanding certain bits on systemd/cgroups -- low-prio query

jsl6uy js16uy js16uy at gmail.com
Fri May 27 17:07:33 UTC 2016

I dig transient services/scopes
I also like interacting with resource limits via systemctl set-property
interface
--easy to list resources that are available and set  sans finding and
catting on /sys/fs/cgroup/foo

So...
Basically I have a system up and running. See some processes I want to
corral
So I would like to create a transient bucket, a scope seems best over a
service with the mentality that these process were not started by a systemd
unit file.
so right now I run
systemd-run --unit=foo --remain-after-exit cat /dev/null
The transient service stays up
I set an arbitrary resources limit to create files under /sys/fs/cgroup
Now I move processes into the tasks file within this cgroup path created
via systemctl/systemd
And I now can setup limits on a group, whatever I move into the tasks file,
on a set arbitrary run processes.

I could just set the limits on the individual processes but would have to
hit each and work with /proc and /sys/fs/cgroup to get them Corralled

I really would prefer to use the structure systemd creates/leverages and
use systemctl to interact with processes as a manually assembled group

So does this seem correct or should I be thinking of this differently?
--Also I question if I'm thinking of this right b/c of the "hack" to get an
"empty" bucket that I can dump running processes into for quick resource
control

Apologies if this is not the right forum for a concepts question, I can try
to find another list if needs be

As always thanks for any/all help