[systemd-devel] shutdown delayed by failure to start a service

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat May 28 08:42:58 UTC 2016

Mantas Mikulėnas composed on 2016-05-27 20:05 (UTC+0300):

> Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> Did this ever get fixed? IOW, sometimes a service will fail to start when a
>>> system is started, or later, after a session of updating, a previously
>>> operating service fails to restart, or a newly installed service fails to
>>> start, or a service is removed. Then at shutdown/reboot time, systemd pauses
>>> 90 seconds with a message about trying to *start* a service. I think I most
>>> often notice this when I try to hold down CAD after a normal shutdown/reboot
>>> order gets stuck or seemingly ignored. At such times I typically see an
>>> "endless" string of failing to save sound card state messages.

>> I have never heard of something like this. And what you describe is
>> not really how systemd works. At shutdown, we actually only shut down
>> services, we don't start any.

The message I see is equivalent in form as during boot, e.g. when a
filesystem not noauto in fstab is to be mounted but cannot be found, so a
delay of typically 90sec, but sometimes much longer, occurs. Mount
specification mistyped or a subsequently changed volume label, or similarly a
change of filesystem UUID should be an easy enough way to observe what I've
not infrequently seen, though the cause(s) of the more irritating shutdown
delays isn't coming to mind ATM. If this was something I had a reliable
recreate scenario for I'd have filed a bug somewhere by now, likely at least
a year ago.

> Not when a distro installs some junk with DefaultDependencies=no &
> WantedBy=shutdown.target...

So, you're saying this is something you're familiar with?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/