[systemd-devel] shutdown delayed by failure to start a service

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun May 29 17:28:28 UTC 2016

Lennart Poettering composed on 2016-05-29 18:40 (UTC+0200):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> The message I see is equivalent in form as during boot, e.g. when a
>> filesystem not noauto in fstab is to be mounted but cannot be found, so a
>> delay of typically 90sec, but sometimes much longer, occurs. Mount
>> specification mistyped or a subsequently changed volume label, or similarly
>> a change of filesystem UUID should be an easy enough way to observe what
>> I've not infrequently seen, though the cause(s) of the more irritating
>> shutdown delays isn't coming to mind ATM. If this was something I had a
>> reliable recreate scenario for I'd have filed a bug somewhere by now, likely
>> at least a year ago.

> Well, we put a timeout of 90s on *everything* systemd starts or
> stops. Hence, saying that you see some 90s timeout just means
> *something* isn't finishing as quickly as it should, with exactly zero
> information about what that something might be...

Now that I know this isn't something familiar to you, I'll be on the watch to
collect specifics to report next time I encounter it. Will there be a
specific journalctl option to use at that time, or will -b do it?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/