[systemd-devel] why does bootctl default to /boot and not to /boot/efi?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 30 16:47:22 UTC 2016

On Sun, 29.05.16 19:39, Barry Scott (barry at barrys-emacs.org) wrote:

> I just came across the bootctl command. Atleast on Fedora 23 and 24
> it errors out because /boot is not FAT EFI. I thought that if you are EFI
> then the EFI was always in /boot/efi.

/boot and the ESP exist for the same reasons really, and do the same
job. Hence, systemd by default mounts the ESP to /boot and installs
sd-boot there.

/boot/efi is a really crazy idea, as this means you always have to
mount /boot (and actually have it!) before you can mount the ESP, and
that's just off. After all in sd-boot the kernels are simply placed in
the ESP, and there's really no point in having /boot at all...

Some distros patch sd-boot/bootctl to use /boot/efi instead, and the
other's don't but don't mount the ESP to /boot either.  Given that it
is that way, it might make sense to revisit the idea of making /boot
and the ESP the same thing. But I am pretty sure /boot/efi is really
the worst idea, hence an acceptable alternatively might be to
introduce /efi and mount the esp there, and simply not have /boot on
legacy free systems.