[systemd-devel] rpcbind.socket failing

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Nov 2 23:01:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, 01.11.16 12:42, Steve Dickson (SteveD at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 11/01/2016 12:14 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >

> > Am 01.11.2016 um 17:05 schrieb Steve Dickson:
> >> and I still getting the following errors
> >>
> >> rpcbind.socket: Failed to listen on sockets: No such file or directory
> I though this was talking about /run/rpcbind.sock since
> that's the only patch defined in that file...  I didn't
> even think it was talking about the patch to the
> daemon since that's defined in the service file.
>
> >> Failed to listen on RPCbind Server Activation Socket.
> >> Starting RPC Bind...
> >> rpcbind.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/rpcbind: No such file or directory
> >> rpcbind.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
> >> Failed to start RPC Bind.
> Maybe the ENOENT was being carried over to the socket file??

Oh yes, it was. This is because you are using an SELinux-based
distro. And on those the label for the socket is calculated from the
binary that will eventually be started on it. If that binary doesn't
exist, the calculation and the socket binding will fail with ENOENT...

But yeah, we should generate more useful errors in this case, indeed.