[systemd-devel] journal files interoperability between distros wrt compression

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 13:50:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

currently, when trying to opan a Fedora journal file from Debian/Ubuntu I get:
 Journal file .../system.journal uses an unsupported feature, ignoring file.

This is probably due to Debian not having lz4 support enabled (yet).
We currently only build with XZ compression.

I wonder what other distros, besides Debian and Fedora, have chosen here.
Do you enable LZ4 or XZ compression?

We have a bug report in Debian, which asks us to enable LZ4
compression, because XZ is just too slow for coredumps [1].
Since journal files and coredumps use the same compression, this would
mean, new journal files are written using LZ4. Which in turn means,
we'd basically have to support LZ4 forever.
Is this a concern that is shared by other distros / upstream?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=832010
universe are pointed away from Earth?