[systemd-devel] systemd-timesyncd: Cannot resolve user name systemd-timesync: No such process

Michael Hirmke mh at mike.franken.de
Fri Nov 11 14:13:00 UTC 2016

Hi Lennart,

>On Fri, 11.11.16 14:41, Michael Hirmke (mh at mike.franken.de) wrote:

>> Hi *,
>>
>> can anyone help me with this error message:
>>
>> systemd-timesyncd[857]: Cannot resolve user name systemd-timesync: No
>> such process
>>
>> This happens with systemd-228-13.1.x86_64 on openSuSE Leap 42.2 RC2.
>>
>> The user account systemd-timesync exists in /etc/passwd.

>What does "getent passwd systemd-timesync" and "getent group
>systemd-timesync" report?

getent passwd systemd-timesync
-> returns nothing

getent group systemd-timesync
-> returns:
systemd-timesync:x:463:

I found an entry "+::::::" in my passwd - no idea, what that means. I've
never seen that. All entries after that one are reported as non existent
by getent. I moved this line to the end of the file, and getent reports
the entries missing before.

Thx for that hint.

Does anyone know, what "+::::::" in /etc/passwd means?

>Lennart

Bye.
Michael.
--