[systemd-devel] Emergency mode if non-critical /etc/fstab entries are missing

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Nov 11 18:57:52 UTC 2016

On Sun, 06.11.16 11:41, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> > You mix two different things.
> >
> > 1. The behavior that if filesystem from /etc/fstab fails to mount, boot
> > is stopped and administrator intervention is required existed long
> > before systemd.
> >
> > 2. Password is requested not by systemd, but by command that it starts
> > to present shell. Default is sulogin. You are free to override it with
> > anything you want, including /bin/sh. Again, sulogin was often default
> > in this case before systemd as well
>
> no he don't - fact is before systemd the amchine bootet as long as the disk
> containing the operating system was there with or without "nofail"
>
> the current behavior is correct but "machine stops booting and require
> password" in fact is "new" on systemd driven machines

Some distros chose to ignore failure reported by "mount". systemd does
not. I think it was a bug in those systems to ignore it. But of
course, people are welcome to disagree, and downstream distros may
of course choose to patch systemd to ignore the exit code of mount if
they like. But quite frankly, I am pretty sure that'd be a *very*
poor choice...