[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn for ubuntu 12.04 with upstart

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Nov 18 10:19:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, 18.11.16 02:55, Masoom Shaikh (mshaikh2000 at outlook.com) wrote:

> I have a container using debootstrap for Ubuntu 12.04
>
> systemd-nspawn -D ubuntu_12.04 works
>

> but I want it with boot option
>
> systemd-nspawn -bD ubuntu_12.04
>
> this doesn't give a console!
>

> read somewhere, it might be related to older ubuntu's looking for /dev/tty1 et.al. where as systemd provides /dev/console
>
> no sure how to modify upstart to use /dev/console
>

> does any body use systemd-spawn for older ubuntu? This is on ArchLinux.
>

> I guess it is not surprise LXC works fine.

To my knowledge the LXC scripts patch around in the image ot make it
run nicely in a container environment. We don't do that with systemd,
and we nspawn won't fake /dev/tty1 ttys, simply for the reason that we
cannot properly emulate a VT with all its ioctls and escape
sequences.

You might be able to patch aroundin upstarts config files and make it
start a tty on /dev/console rather than /dev/tty1.