[systemd-devel] after=user.slice not enforced

Cédric BRINER cedric.briner at unige.ch
Wed Nov 23 08:14:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

For the context, we are trying to stop a daemon launched by a user...

>> Hi,
>>
>> sapRunning service contains a "After=user.slice". But at the shutdown, a
>> process (write-sysv-test.pl) running in user.slice is killed before the
>> end of the sapRunning's stop.
>
> Slices are a concept for resource management, and that's what they
> should be used for. Do not user them for anything else, such as
> ordering purposes.
>
> In systemd shutdown ordering is the inverse of start-up ordering, and
> After= and Before= declare the latter. This means that if your service
> has After=user.slice, this means at shutdown your service will be
> stopped first and user.slice second.
Thanks for the clarification.

But this has not the expected impact. We were wishing with the
"After=user.slice", that the stop sapRunning will occur before any user
commands are stopped.

Does using "After=user.slice" propagate also on all the *childs*. That
way we could ensure that our stop services' commmand is launched as the
first ever before any kill ?

The question still remain for us, how can we do to have a daemon
launched by hand, that can be handled by systemd for its stopping.

> Lennart
cED

--
Cédric BRINER, Ing. EPFL & HES