[systemd-devel] moving a directory let me with a 65534:65534 owner/group directory

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:24:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, 01.09.16 10:47, arnaud gaboury (arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > I have been moving directories and files between my host and my container
> > many times since more than one year with no issues. Host is Archlinux and
> > container Fedora 24 (upgrade to 24 is quite recent: no more than 2
> months).
> >
> > I moved a directory today from host to container and this let me, for the
> > first time, with a directory in the container owned by 65534:65534.
> > <The UID 65534 is commonly reserved for *nobody*, a user with no system
> > privileges, as opposed to an ordinary (i.e., *non-privileged*) user. This
> > UID is often used for individuals accessing the system remotely via FTP
> or
> > HTTP[0] >
>
> Uh, oh. My gues is this: you are using user namespaces (wich is the
> default these days if you use systemd-nspawn at .service), and I nevre
> updated the copy logic in machined to deal with that...
>
> Or in other words, it's a bug in machined.
>
> I filed a github issue to keep track of this, so that we can get this
> fixed:
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/4078

Thank you for opening the issue. I have been reading quite a lot about this
on the past few hours. Most of such issues arise with NTFS, which is not my
case
# mount
/dev/sdb1 on / type btrfs
(rw,noatime,compress=lzo,ssd,space_cache,autodefrag,subvolid=266,subvol=/rootvol)

 if it can help, from container:
root at thetradinghall ➤➤ / # lsattr
---------------- ./usr
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./run
---------------- ./boot
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./dev
---------------- ./home
---------------- ./media
---------------- ./mnt
---------------- ./opt
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./proc
---------------- ./root
---------------- ./srv
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./sys
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./tmp
---------------- ./etc
---------------- ./var
---------------- ./db
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on ./sbin
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on ./bin
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on ./lib
lsattr: Operation not supported While reading flags on ./lib64

This issue is new and have been able to cp/mv from host to container and
preserve file/folders attributes until now. Something in my recent upgrades
have done these changes.