[systemd-devel] Facility to debug/trace services especially at system startup time

Che comandantegringo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 20:24:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Pathangi Janardhanan <path.jana at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  What is the best option to do some debug/analysis of the system and the
> services started by systemd during initial bootup?
>
>  I would like to use tools like perf and strace etc. on some of the
> services. I could do this by starting the service manually but would like
> to have all the services that start at bootup and was wondering if there is
> a way for me to do this sort of thing, just for the initial boot up time.
>
> Thanks
> Jana

I believe there's some CLI, systemctl way to profile the sequence of events
by which various targets are reached. But some over-arching, powerful way
should exist, which is able to either: deconstruct the entire boot init
history; or to stop and trace the bootup process as it is occurring,
right..?

That would be very nice, eh? Perhaps there exists a present-moment hack
which is equivalent...
:)