[systemd-devel] "dev-xxx.device" is trying to start indefinitely long

Anton Gerasimov anton at advancedtelematic.com
Mon Sep 19 16:08:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm writing to the right mailing list, please
redirect me if I'm wrong.

I'm trying to make some custom initramfs image with systemd and I
encounter very strange behaviour. Namely, when I boot into it with
"root=/dev/hda" kernel command line option the boot process stops right
after "Reached target Basic System" trying to start dev-hda.device, i.e
I see "A start job is running for dev-hda.device (1min 8s / no limit)"
forever.

However, if I break the boot process on an early stage and run the
rescue shell, I can see /dev/hda and it can also be mounted without any
problem. But if I 'systemctl start dev-hda.device' manually it also
waits forever.

Have anyone here encountered something similar and what dev-hda.device
unit is actually trying to do? Could you give me any tips for debugging
this?

Thanks,

Anton Gerasimov

--
Anton Gerasimov, ATS Advanced Telematic Systems GmbH
Kantstrasse 162, 10623 Berlin