[systemd-devel] Is it possible to load unit files from paths other than default paths ?

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:04:35 UTC 2016

Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 16:56:52 +0530
schrieb "Raghavendra. H. R" <raghuhr84 at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm newbie with systemd boot system and I need help in resolving one
> issue.
>
> I would like to create a service under a customized path Eg:/mnt and
> systemd should be able to pick my unit file from this.
>
> I tried by setting *Environment=SYSTEMD_UNIT_PATH=/mnt *from the
> console but it didnt help and found the error *"Failed to start
> startup.service: Unit startup.service failed to load: No such file or
> directory."*
>

> Is it possible to achieve this ?

Not sure if this helps you, i.e. is appropriate for your use-case...

But if the directory happens to be a home directory and the services
are designed to be run as user, you could make the service files go
into $HOME/.config/systemd/user/ (or symlink this to your mountpoint)
and enable linger on the user (loginctl enable-linger $USER).

You can then manage these units as the user through "system --user
{start,stop,enable,...}" (only with real login sessions, not through
sudo -iu $USER, but ssh would work).

--
Regards,
Kai