[systemd-devel] Emergency mode if non-critical /etc/fstab entries are missing

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Sep 26 00:09:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:35:51AM +1300, Sergei Franco wrote:
> Thank you for your quick reply.
>
> I just tested this scenario on Ubuntu 12.04LTS (with upstart) and it
> present the following message:
>
> The disk drive for /data is not ready yet or not present.
> keys:Continue to wait, or Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery
>
> So it is not as big difference as I initially thought, except it is much
> easier to deal with by simply pressing S, while I believe there is no
> such option for systemd (it would be nice).

Making bootup potentially interactive in this manner is strictly worse
than dumping you into emergency mode. At least with emergency mode, you
might be able to add dependencies to emergency.target such that, for
example, an sshd comes up and an admin can login to the remote box.
How's this supposed to work with a random prompt which must be accessed
on /dev/console?  Enforce that everyone has some sort of out of band
console?

Unclear why you consider this a superior design decision...