[systemd-devel] Emergency mode if non-critical /etc/fstab entries are missing

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:28:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:

>> because earlier systems (sysvinit) hat no concept like emergency mode
>> as they where a lousy bunch of scripts where you ended in case of a
>> crucial disk failing in a undefined state?
>>
>> because earlier systems had no concept for "nofail" or "fail" at all
>

> It is worth noting that nofail will have no effect if any services pull in
> the mount target.

What effect do you expect? If service Requires mount point and mount
point is not available, service startup fails. That is correct and
expected behavior. If service does not require mount point, service
should be saying Wants and After. Which is at the end exactly what
"nofail" does w.r.t. local-fs.target.

So yes, "nofail" won't magically convert Requires into Wants for every
service definition that mentions mount point.