[systemd-devel] Renaming interfaces with systemd.link

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Apr 1 09:52:52 UTC 2017

On Fri, 31.03.17 15:56, Ian Pilcher (arequipeno at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 03/30/2017 10:15 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > My educated guess is that your .link file was ignored due to the
> > existance of /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link. Make sure to
> > prefix your .link file with some number < 99 to ensure it takes
> > precedence.
>
> I think I've asked this before, but is there some reason that
> 99-default.link can't be renamed to ZZZZ-default.link or something else
> that will sort with a lower precedence?
>
> It's pretty natural to want to create files with names like eno1.link,
> enp2s0f0.link, etc.  I can't help thinking that a lot of time gets
> wasted by people trying to figure out why .link files with this sort of
> name don't work.

It's a pretty well established scheme we already use at various other
places (udev rules, sysctl files, ...), and it is inspired from even
older stuff, for example SysV init scripts. I am not sure it would be
a good idea to come up with a new naming scheme just for this case
now, or change the already established status quo.

Sorry,