[systemd-devel] Renaming interfaces with systemd.link

Chris Trobridge christrobridge at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 08:49:28 UTC 2017

> Note that "networkctl status ..." will actually show you the link file
> applied to a specific interface. What does it show for yours?
>
> Lennart

It shows "/usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link", despite the presence of my earlier named 10-eth0.link file.

The initramfs for Fedora contains "/usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link".

I just tried this on my Yocto box, which has no initramfs and the renaming is applied to eth0 successfully.

I have also renamed other interfaces with Fedora, eg a virtual bridge, with a .link file.

So my thought is that it is being renamed while initramfs is being used and then cannot be renamed again (as stated on the man page).  This would tie with the Debian issue I linked in my initial email (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=793374).

Cheers,
Chris