[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn network-interface

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 17 09:59:36 UTC 2017

On Thu, 13.04.17 16:08, poma (pomidorabelisima at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello
>
> Regaining of the network-interface, as is stated in the manual, ain't happening;
> man 1 systemd-nspawn
> OPTIONS
> --network-interface=
>   Assign the specified network interface to the container.
>   This will remove the specified interface from the calling namespace and
>   place it in the container.
>   When the container terminates,
>   it is moved back to the host namespace. [...]
>
> Given what's actually going on, should be stated;
> --network-interface=
>   Assign the specified network interface to the container.
>   This will remove the specified interface from the calling namespace and
>   place it in the container.
>   When the container terminates,
>   considering that the specified interface is not moved back to the host namespace,
>   specific kernel module need to be reloaded to move it back to the host namespace. [...]

Upgrade your kernel! This all works correctly on current kernels:
network interfaces will now safely migrate back to the parent
namespace when a network namespace dies.

We usually don't document bugs in other software in systemd, but
instead ask people to run current systemd only in conjunction with
somewhat current kernels.