[systemd-devel] monitoring systemd unit flapping

Jeremy Eder jeder at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 20:05:32 UTC 2017

Sorry, I did not explain myself clearly.  systemd is doing nothing wrong.
What I'd like to do is find an optimal way to notify our monitoring system
(zabbix) that a service is flapping.  We can probably script something.
Just looking to see if there's a more elegant way.  Looking also at
OnFailure

https://serverfault.com/questions/694818/get-notification-when-systemd-monitored-service-enters-failed-state

At the same time, trying to avoid false positives in the monitoring system,
so one failure is OK but when it hits startburstlimit, things are bad, even
if the service doesn't immediately crash.  That's the thing; it might take
a few seconds/minutes to fail.  I realize this could be considered an edge
case...perhaps an equivalent of OnFailure could be OnStartBurstLimit= ?

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
wrote:

> Am 25.04.2017 um 17:30 schrieb Jeremy Eder:
>
>> If we have a service that is flapping because it's crashing after
>> startup...what's the right way to monitor for that condition?  Eventually
>> it triggers startburstlimit, was thinking that if we hit startburstlimit
>> that the service could set some special bit that we could look for.
>>
>> Like ... systemctl is-flapping myservice --quiet
>>
>> Any other possibilities?
>>

> just put "RestartSec=1" in the unit-file
>
> the default is ridiculous low and easily triggers the restart-limit

-- Jeremy Eder