[systemd-devel] Upgrade 232 -> 233: user at XXX.service: Failed at step PAM spawning...

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Apr 29 10:21:49 UTC 2017

On Sat, 29.04.17 11:13, Vlad (vovan at vovan.nl) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've recently updated systemd and now user session is failing to start:
> Apr 29 11:04:02 xxx systemd[550]: user at xxx.service: Failed at step PAM
> spawning /usr/lib/systemd/systemd: Operation not permitted
> Apr 29 11:04:02 xxx systemd[1]: Failed to start User Manager for UID xxx.
> Apr 29 11:04:02 xxx lightdm[535]: pam_systemd(lightdm:session): Failed
> to create session: Start job for unit user at xxx.service failed with 'failed'
>
> Apparently the previous version gives similar error as well, but doesn't
> fail to start user session:
> Apr 29 11:09:37 xxx systemd[565]: user at xxx.service: Failed at step PAM
> spawning /usr/lib/systemd/systemd: Operation not permitted
> Apr 29 11:09:37 xxx systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID xxx.
>
> I'd appreciate any thoughts about this issue.

Maybe your PAM snippet for your app changed the pam_systemd invocation
from "ignore all errors" to "do not ignore errors"?

PAM varies between distros, on Fedora-based distros lines that ignore
failures in PAM configuration are usually prefixed with a single dash
character. Maybe this was altered for you?