[systemd-devel] Outputting STDOUT and STDERR to current $SSH_TTY

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Aug 14 14:14:40 UTC 2017

Am 14.08.2017 um 12:31 schrieb Sergei Franco:
> Even simple things like where is the bloody unit defined, is it in
> /etc/systemd/system/ or /lib/systemd/system/ or is it in
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/?

guess what the loaded line tells you...

[root at rh:~]$ systemctl status httpd
? httpd.service - Apache Webserver
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/httpd.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Mo 2017-08-14 15:11:06 CEST; 58min ago

[root at rh:~]$ systemctl status dhcpd-vmware.service
? dhcpd-vmware.service - DHCPD VMWare
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/dhcpd-vmware.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Mo 2017-08-14 09:59:18 CEST; 6h ago

> What about tail -f 1000 /var/log/messages |
> grep bla | awk .. Can't really do that any more, as journalctl does not
> support number of lines to follow from (and again, I could be wrong
> here, I have been wrong many times).

what about forward it to rsyslog as i do and just continue using what
you used before

> Why /lib/ for essentially config files? Isn't what /etc/ is for?

beause now you can override distribution configs and unit-files in a
predictable way by just create the eactly same file below
/etc/systemd/sysem as the distribution shipped it with
/usr/lib/systemd/system

because now you have things like /etc/systemd/system/servicename.d/ for
specific overrides which works *predictable* and can be combined as you
want it - but you probably don't gasp that by lack of basic understanding

and if you want to be taken serious stop convert a plaintext mail
conversation into useless HTML responses overrding my font and color
settings