[systemd-devel] "bootctl install" on mdadm raid 1 fails

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 22:33:01 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I assumed bootctl would be able to install onto a mdadm raid 1 array
(mirror). But this happens:

  $ bootctl --path=/mnt/boot install
  Failed to probe partition scheme "/mnt/boot": Input/output error

The raid array is created with --metadata=0.90 (superblock at the end
of device). systemd v234 was used for testing.

I see people online that have worked around this by setting up the ESP
(/boot) manually, and finalizing the install with 2x calls to
efibootmgr. But I'm hoping for bootctl to handle this for me :-)

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman