[systemd-devel] recovery boot hangs at “systemd[1]: Listening on Journal Socket”

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 14 09:13:15 UTC 2017

On Do, 14.12.17 10:03, Joachim Wuttke (j.wuttke at fz-juelich.de) wrote:

> On recovery boot, systemd is hanging after printing the line:
> [  <time>] systemd[1]: Listening on Journal Socket
>
> What is systemd supposed to be doing?
>
> What other software is involved?
> (I may have caused the problem by inadvertedly uninstalling some packages)
>
> How to debug / to recover?

Boot with systemd.log_level=debug to get more debug output on boot,
which might help you figure out what's going on.

Boot with systemd.debug-shell=1 and you'll have a debugging shell on
Alt-F9. Use "systemctl list-jobs" from it to figure out what is being
waited on.

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging