[systemd-devel] "bootctl install" on mdadm raid 1 fails

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 16:46:38 UTC 2017

On 14 December 2017 at 12:22, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Do, 14.12.17 22:17, Michael Chapman (mike at very.puzzling.org) wrote:
>> It's perhaps unlikely for firmware itself to write to the ESP, but certainly
>> anything launched from the firmware can. One of my boot entries is an EFI
>> shell, and it can move, copy, read and write files within the ESP.
>>
>> I think it's probably wise to avoid software RAID for the ESP.
>
> I think so too. There has been work to teach sd-boot "boot attempt
> counting", to make chrome-os-like automatic upgrading with safe
> fallback when the system continously fails to boot available. That too
> would store the counts in the file system.

Ok, there are things to look out for, but I don't think it's an
unreasonable setup. I want protection against disk crash and HW raid
is not available. What better option is there? (I've never had
firmware write to my boot disk / ESP (at least to my knowledge), so I
consider the risk of firmware messing up the SW raid to be very
small.)

Would bootctl patches be considered for inclusion?

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman