[systemd-devel] Disabling tomcat8

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 17:28:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 20.12.2017 um 14:52 schrieb Tom H:
>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>> wrote:

>>> in 2017 it shpuld be a native systemd-unit but from where comes the
>>> "vendor preset: enabled" in case of a generated unit?
>>
>> The usual reason for not having a native unit is that you can't force
>> developers to do that work. Also, some sysvrc scripts are so
>> convoluted that the developers prefer to let the generator take care
>> of business
>
> in doubt where is the problem to point ExecStart/Stop to the
> elsewehere located sysv-initscript even without change that?

That's what the sysv generator does. If you're going to write a unit,
you may as well write a "proper" one.

> the benefit is that you still have the
> /etc/systemd/system/servicename.service.d snippets and can use namespace
> options like ReadOnlyDirectory and so on as well as override/disable/enable
> works proper for around 10 minutes of work
>
> guess what Fedora did with "iptables.service"

I'd guess that it was more about keeping non-standard verbs, like
"save", than anything else.

> so no, i don't see an excuse after that many years for crap within
> /etc/init.d/

I doubt that distributions using a generator for sysvrc scripts agree
with you - or they've have systemd units for everything.