[systemd-devel] Is sd_journal_send non-blocking?

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 10:12:45 UTC 2017

The manual page I've got does not say it is, but the implementation does
not wait for acknowledgment from the journal.  The implementation does
not block explicitly, but I think the sendmsg call can block until the
receiver queue is empty.

The background for this question is that we have a feature request for a
non-blocking logging interface.  I wonder if the journal fits this
requirement.

I assume that with “non-blocking”, the feature request submitter means
that the function does not block indefinitely, say due to a service
process outage.  Memory allocations can take a fairly long time as well
(due to paging), but I think that doesn't count here.

Thanks,
Florian