[systemd-devel] 2017: systemd-readahead?

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:46:56 UTC 2017

Am Mon, 6 Feb 2017 21:52:09 +0100
schrieb Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:

> On Tue, 10.01.17 12:14, Che (comandantegringo at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > What's the 2017 status of systemd-readahead..? Permanently dead?
>
> Well, we removed it from the systemd tree, and suggested other folks
> to take it over. I am not aware that anyone did.

Gentoo extracted a snapshot of the last git tree containing readahead.
The build then configures the tree to only build the readahead binary.
I think it needs to be patched from time to time to still build with
updated system dependencies but currently I didn't see a version bump
yet.

However, I finally ditched it. I figured it will slow down boot of an
aging system. Instead, I added bcache to my spinning rust plus an
affordable SSD. This works very well and reduces boot times much better
than readahead (by a factor of at least 5).

The ebuild contents should give you a clue how it's done:

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-apps/systemd-readahead

--
Regards,
Kai