[systemd-devel] General question about dbus-activatable services

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 11:54:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 at 02:01:29 +0100, Christian Rebischke wrote:
> I would like to start
> ibus-daemon automatically on login in my user session.
> But it was rejected, due to the fact that a dbus-activatable service for
> ibus exists.

If there is a D-Bus service already, the way to get it started
by `systemd --user` is to link the two together, something like this:
<https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk/pull/52>
Having duplication between D-Bus session services and systemd user
services without linking them together with `SystemdService` is likely
to be harmful (it'll get started twice under at least some circumstances).

As a side-effect, doing something similar to that xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
PR will give you a service that you can enable using a symbolic link in
~/.config/systemd/user/default.target.wants.

I've commented on the ibus bug.