[systemd-devel] Failed to get journal fields: Bad message

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Feb 26 20:45:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, 25.02.17 11:10, Krzysztof Błaszkowski (kb at sysmikro.com.pl) wrote:

> Any thoughts ? wise only ..
>
> when there was /var/log/messages available there was no problem with
> accessing logs because the "database" was plain text but now.
>
> corrupted less or more it did not matter. it is responsibility of
> /var/log filesystem to perform right recovery ..
>
> I want to see what could happen before I had to hard reboot and I can't
> access "messages" even before a month ago.
>

> don't want to see reply like this:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=311314
>
> because I will express how stupid *-journal idea is.
> and making double recovery scheme by the file system and poor one by *-
> journal is so brain fucked like I have never seen yet.

The journal file format is primarily an append-based format (though
some fields at the front are updated, to link the new additions
up). This makes it not too bad when it comes to disk corruptions, and
data up to the point of corruption should be readable pretty nicely
still.

Anyway, if you have a corrupted journal file and current journalctl
can't read it, then please file a bug, attach the journal file, and
we'll look into improving journalctl.

If you think that our ideas, and in particular journal files are
stupid, then please use something else, there are plenty syslog
implementations around, and they still work on systemd.