[systemd-devel] WebUSB

Lars Knudsen larsgk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:38:42 UTC 2017

I have som more input - but really need Reilly's comments on this:

As hardware manufacturers most often want to make it possible for users to
use their hardware in a WebUSB setting as well as in a "normal" app mode,
we will most likely see composite devices that could have the following
interfaces defined:

1. INT IF (for std CDC)
2. BULK CDC (non-webusb - e.g. for normal serial port bindings)
3. WebUSB CDC/bulk

In this case - ideally - the system should be allowed to grab 1 and 2 (but
most probably not modemmanager - as it's very unlikely that a modem will be
a webusb device.. as webusb devices assume internet) but leave 3 untouched
(unclaimed) for WebUSB bulk communication.  This means that the udev rules
need to be made on an interface level and not "blanket cover" the whole
device.

Beware that I might not be 100% correct on these assumptions and really
need some input on the intentions from Reilly or others with more knowledge
in the area (let's give California time to wake up :))

br
Lars